Dietary supplementation with chitosan derived from mushrooms changes adipocytokine profile in diet-induced obese mice, a phenomenon linked to its lipid-lowering action
a School of Pharmacy, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University 110016, Shenyang, China
b Department of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmacy, Philipps-University Marburg, Ketzerbach 63, D-35032 Marburg, Germany
Available online 29 September 2009 of ScienzeDirect
Recent data reported that chitosan reduces high-fat (HF) diet-induced obesity in mice without describing the metabolic consequences of such an effect. The aim of this study was to investigate the capacity of chitosan derived from edible mushrooms to modify adipocytokine levels and to assess the relevance of this effect on the development of fat mass, and on glucose and lipid metabolism in obese mice. Mice were fed a HF diet or aHF diet supplemented with 5% fungal chitosan for ten weeks. HF-induced hypertriglyceridaemia, fasting hyperinsulinaemia and fat accumulation in liver, muscle and white adipose tissue (WAT) were reduced after chitosan treatment. The higher lipid content in the caecum following treatment with chitosan suggested that this dietary fiber reduced lipid absorption. We postulated that the lower triglyceridaemia observed upon chitosan treatment could also be the result of the lower FIAF (fasting-induced adipose factor) expression observed in visceral adipose tissue. IL-6, resistin and leptin levels decreased in the serum after chitosan supplementation. We conclude that fungal chitosan counteracts some inflammatory disorders and metabolic alterations occurring in diet-induced obese mice since it decreases feed efficiency, fat mass, adipocytokine secretion and ectopic fat deposition in the liver and the muscle.
- Supplementation with fungal chitosan lowers body weight gain, feed efficiency and fat mass development whereas it induces caecal enlargement
- Supplementation with fungal chitosan reduces lipid accumulation in the liver, the muscle and the serum
- Supplementation with fungal chitosan decreases circulating adipocytokines; a phenomenon related to its anti-obesity properties
- Supplementation with fungal chitosan decreased hyperinsulinaemia without improving of hyperglycaemia upon fasting
Voedingssupplement op basis van PLANTAARDIGE CHITOSAN (KiOnutrime-Cs), het nieuwe plantaardige supplement voor gewichtsbeheersing en cholesterolcontrole.
- Melatonine van plantaardige oorsprong
- Melatonine 1, 3, 5 mg.
- 100% pure melatonine
- Garum Armoricum
- Magnesium Marino
- 30 en 60 capsules
- Mix van 4 algen
- Dulse e Nori
- Plantaardige Chitosan
- De vetvanger
- 60 Tablets